“I don’t do fashion, I am fashion.” Coco Chanel

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Interview with Designer James Flames / Caroliente Collection


NK: Tell a lil about your collection and your self as designer.
FLAMES: I was born in Williamston, NC Martin County & both of my parents had some kind of skills in clothing, from my mother doing embroidery on Denim Jean Jackets with The "70's Theme" back when she was in High School...To my father who used to tailor his, & my church suits as a child....so it was only right that I would take on some of the skills & wanna get into fashion....


 Caroliente' Clothing Collection was born in Tha Laboratory of Style based in the Carolina's in 2008 during the long hot summer & that's were the name originated... (Half-Carolina/half-Caliente){Spanish word for hot}
So that very same summer, I presented the clothing line, in the 1st big show,& that was "The Best of Both Worlds 2" Which LP Models Agency had put together, & I have been Ripping Runway's across The Carolina's every since


NK: What inspired you to be a designer?
FLAMES: I really think, I was born with wanting to be creative, & I was tired of seeing the same ‘old - same ‘old, but wanted to put "overlooked,city,state,area & the whole Carolina's" on the map...so I took what I  had been experimenting with from early teenage years. (1998'ish) so after a long 10years of trying to find myself & "own" style, I came-up with "Caroliente Collection"

NK: What are the pros and con's of being a fashion designer in the south?
FLAMES: With being a fashion designer in the South, it's still kinda new, So that makes it a Pro because it's not as many Big Name clothing lines or Designers which leaves an huge independent market open for it....but at the same time that can be a con because as an designer you really have to standout to get sales...because not only are you competing with Collections in the stores, but you also have to compete other independent brands...


NK: What do does Caroliente Collection bring to the fashion industry in the south?
FLAMES: Caroliente is a strong bold brand of clothing that exceeds off of Bold Bright Colors of "The South" mixed with "The REAL HIP HOP" of "The 80's" (Break Dance, Graffitti, Dj’s & Real MC's) & introduce that to the "New Age" of Skateboarding & Punk Rock Trend Core....with all those elements also with different forms of medias...in my opinion it's really what the Southern Fashion Industry need




NK: Has showcasing Caroliente Collection been easy in the south?
FLAMES: NO, Almost like with anything in the south, it get's the "SOUTH Stereotype"  Treatment...So that only means I have to work harder, for it to get respected from other people & other clothing lines outside of the south, but still show that being from the south & keeping it southern at the same time....but with almost anything getting started is the hard part, but when you get the people attention, and you have them on yourside,thats when it gets easy....


NK:
Where do you see Caroliente Collection in the next 10 years?
FLAMES: WOW, 10years from now, thats a good one....with things changing so much, from what’s hot & what’s not...to things coming back in style, that used to be style...I still hope to have a place in fashion, but only spin-off to other things in design...like my own color, to my own kind of paint, and maybe even how-to-design guide manuals..Because already in the few years from 08 till '11 it already reached into other countries like The U.K. & Germany so I'm sure getting the brand to expand across the U.S shouldn’t be a problem at all....




NK: Where can Caroliente Collection be found web site etc video link?

Website http://www.caroliente.com

follow on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/caroliente

checkout YouTube to watch fashion shows & promo videos

For all my fashionblogers & trendy followers checkout my Tumblr: 
http://caroliente-collection.tumblr.com/

For all my model mayhem user checkout my
port http://www.modelmayhem.com/caroliente

No comments:

Post a Comment